One of my family’s favorite spring camping recipes is for Cornbread Tamale Pie. It’s really great year round, but even more perfect just as the weather is starting to warm up. One thing that makes this a great spring camping recipe is that it’s easy to make in your new or used RV’s kitchen and uses hardly any dishes – so clean up is easy, and you won’t have to pack and store lots of extra kitchen tools! Let’s get going on this great spring camping recipe!
Cornbread Tamale Pie
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 16-oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 box cornbread mix, like Jiffy, plus additional ingredients needed (usually milk and egg)
- Red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
Additional toppings, optional
- Shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream, black olives
You’ll also need:
- Iron skillet
- Medium size bowl
- Fork or whisk
- Measuring cups
- Heat resistant spatula
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Over medium heat, brown ground beef. Once browned, remove beef from skillet and drain off all but about a tablespoon of grease.
- Add diced onion and diced bell pepper to the skillet and cook over medium heat until tender, about 15 minutes.
- While vegetables cook, prepare cornbread mix in a medium bowl according to package directions and set aside.
- Return browned ground beef to skillet and add both cans of diced tomatoes, stirring to combine with the pepper and onions. Add a dash of red pepper flakes and salt to taste. Mix thoroughly.
- Top the meat and vegetable mixture with the cornbread batter and smooth to cover. Place the entire skillet in the oven and bake until golden brown, about 40 minutes. Serve with optional toppings.
Want a prep-ahead version? Prepping some of your camp meals from home, before you set off, is one way to scale back even more of your work while camping. Prepare the meat and veggie mixture and store in a Ziploc bag ahead of time. Freeze flat, and pull out to thaw the day you plan to fix this recipe. Once thawed, place in the skillet, top with the cornbread batter, and bake as directed.
Whether you prep it ahead of time or wait until you’re on the road, this spring camping recipe for Cornbread Tamale Pie is extremely easy and the ingredients – like a can of diced tomatoes and boxed cornbread mix – won’t take up much room in the pantry space of your new or used RV at all.